Friday, October 23, 2009

Seriously?!

So, I'm driving today to go get Wyatt from school. I'm running a little behind, but realize I'm in good shape to get there just in the nick of time. Its 5:40, I have until 6:00 to get him and I'm only about 10 minutes away. Its raining, and my boss' last words before me leaving work were "go slow, don't hurry, the roads are wet." Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. So back to my journey. I approach the on ramp to New Circle road and hit the typical traffic. The truck in front of me is stopping, so I do so as well. Unfortunately, I did not stop quite as quickly as he did (back to the roads are wet comment) and boom, I smack into the back of his truck. No damage to his truck, but my hood is looking nice...in a ghetto kind of way. I didn't know exactly what to do. Do I call the cops? Just exchange info? What?! Jason was at a dinner for work, so I call my mom. Her and my dad recommend I call the cops in order to make an insurance claim. I agree, get out of the car to talk to the guy I hit and realize I just locked my keys in the car. Fantastic. I try frantically to call Wyatt's school to let them know I'm going to be late. I call 911 to get the cops there. I call Jason (okay stalk Jason) to get him to help me figure out what to do about the Wyatt situation. Jason calls back and gets Wyatt. After 30 minutes of waiting for the cops, Jason and I trump my parents' opinion and decide my car is isn't worth the cost of the insurance claim and rate increase. I call 911 back and tell them to cancel the cops and I exchange info with the guy in the truck. The guy was a trooper. He stayed with me until Jason could come and let me in my car. Jason shows up, lets me in my car and we decide to go to the next exit to get Wyatt from his car to mine.
We get off of the next exit at a Shell station. I get Wyatt in my car and head to the YMCA fall festival. I pull up to a stop light (to leave the parking lot) and I'm in the right turn lane. The light is red and I ease of the brakes to see if I can go. Being cautious (since I just wrecked and all) I decide not to go. However, the car behind me had a little different opinion. Oppsie poopsie, they bump into me. This time, no damage done to either car. In fact, they barely bumped me. Thank goodness.
So, my friends, try to top that. Two wrecks and locking your keys in your car...all between 5:40 and 6:40 on a Friday evening. Not quite my idea of Happy Hour.

4 comments:

Tishy said...

Oh My Gosh! What a day. I thought the roads were really slick today. NOt sure why but my tires were sliding and spinning all over the place and I did not even think I was going that fast. I am glad you are okay and there was no real damage to people.

Anonymous said...

OH, Michelle I am glad you are OK! I don't want to try and top that. I got in a wreck in the rain once; it really makes you think differently about driving it afterwards. See you soon!

~Jessie

Jennifer said...

Oh man!!! I have to admit that I'm laughing right now at the way you told the story. I wouldn't have been at the time, and certainly not had you been injured, but 2 accidents and a lock up incident all in under an hour- wow! Impressive really. ;-) I'm glad you are ok though. Very glad.

jenn said...

Oh man...that's a rough commute home...but luckily it was a Friday night and you didn't have to do it all again the next day. :) Glad everyone is ok...